Thursday, May 20, 2010

Quick Fix Meals meets Semi Homemade -- McGhan Style

So, I love to cook. BUT, I don't like complicated recipes. I like shortcuts, and I like to get a lot of meals out of one product. I like to see how cheaply I can feed my family, while making delicious and healthy meals.

Last week I made a fantastic discovery -- preseasoned TURKEY TENDERLOIN. It's $7.99. YIKES, that seems steep for my budget. I decided I'd buy it anyway and see how far I could make it go. The first night, we had turkey tenderloin w/ mashers and roasted veggies. Over half of the tenderloin was left. I decided I'd shred it up. When I shredded it, there was a lot there. I decided we could get 2 more meals out of it. I used 1/2 and mixed w/ our fav. bbq sauce. The other half I mixed w/ taco sauce.

The second meal was BBQ sandwiches w/ coleslaw and fruit.
Our third meal was tacos (crunch) w/ lettuce, salsa and fixins, and fuit.

All in all... our meals were UNDER $2.00 per person -- that would be under $10.00 to feed 5 people! Taco night was probably around $1.10 per person! THAT rocks my socks!

I also take a pound of ground turkey breast, and I stretch that out to 2 meals. Spaghetti with meat sauce and then something else... right now, the 2nd half of that meat is in the freezer waiting for inspiration.

Soon, I'll be making meatballs with the ground turkey. I can definitely get 2 meals out of meatballs... I can do italian meatballs with pasta and I can do sweet and sour meatballs with brown rice. The good thing is, I can make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze what I don't use.

Chicken goes along way at this house, and Schwan's just made it even easier, by having 5 lbs of chicken for $13.99 -- it feeds 20 people!!! Can you say, chicken salad, chicken casserole, smothered chicken, chicken pot pie, cheesy chicken and noodles? I thought so!

And now I have an itch to start gardening... when I saw the beautiful lettuce my mom picked at my sister's house last night, it REALLY made me want to grow my own veggies. I love veggies, but can't stand to pay so much for them, and if I grow them at home, there are no pesticides to contend with! I think I want to start with lettuce and herbs. We have a huge yard, so finding a spot to grow veggies shouldn't be that difficult. I also hope to grow some blueberries (for next year of course)... my kids can eat their weight in blueberries!

So anyway, I may be using my blog to discuss my adventures in cooking and gardening for a big family! I welcome ideas on frugal cooking for a large family!

No comments: