Monday, October 20, 2008

Wow, it's been a while.

OK I know I made a list a while back, of the things I needed to blog about. SO, here you go...

WAAAAAAAAAAY back in July, my little man turned 2! We had a birthday party the day before we left for the beach. Pizza and cake! Wils got firetrucks (his favorite), a lawn mower (bubble more favorite by far), and then his grandparents in Idaho sent him his very first set of GOLF CLUBS! (ok, seriously, THAT is the most favorite!) Wils just enjoyed himself to no end. We played outside and the kids just ran around, until they were literally too tired to keep moving! Our next door neighbors came over after most of the guests had left. Carrie asked for cake, and said she was "craving some cake" so I ran in and got her a piece. We sat out on the deck and chatted, and before she left, she said, "If you are wondering WHY I am craving cake, it's because ... I AM PREGNANT!" OMG, I am so excited for she and Josh. They came over last Friday night (October 0th) I'd been waiting to hear from her all day. I was holding Mia, and she grabbed Mia from my arms and squeezed her close and then looked at me and said, "I'm having one of these!" I could not be happier for them! Carlee Grace should arrive in late February!

So, the day after Wils' birthday party, we hit the road. Dee, Dawson, and Maegan all in her little car, Matthew, Me, Wils and Mia all in our minivan. Sand buckets, check! Boogie boards, check! suitcases, check! Diapers, check! Stroller, check! Pack n plays, check! Let's Roll!!!!!!!!!

We spent a week in Southern Shores, at a little cottage we go to every year, just steps from the ocean. Mom and Dad brought Grandma, and one of Dad's first cousins. My cousin Paul and his wife and their teenage sons met us down there. The first night, we just did a quick mexican dinner in the cottage and then played games. The next day we spent the day on the beach... in fact most of the week was beautiful, so we spent countless hours on the beach. Dee had promised to take Dawson mini-golf, and so she and Dad and Maegan and Dawson went one after noon while the little ones were sleeping. When they came back, they were SOAKED. Apparently, close to the last hole, the skies opened up and dumped buckets of rain on them. Maegan was not impressed.

During the week we had different visitors, some stayed over night, and some just stayed for a few short minutes. Paul and his family left on Tuesday. Then Ryan, Stephanie, Keriana and baby Riley came for their visit. They stayed until Friday or was it Saturday? Winston, Morgan and Casey dropped in for a quick visit. Winston, Daddy, Ryan and Matt played golf. Morgan and Casey went with Dee and Dawson and Maegan over to the ocean. I stayed in, because I had two sleeping babies. On Wednesday, Pamela and Adam came for the remainder of the week. And Uncle Geno came on Wednesday as well.

There was a cooking competition, Men vs. Women... or brother's (Matt (my husband, but Dee's bro in law obviously) and Ryan) vs. sisters (Dee and myself-- Steph's hands were full with caring for Riley). The men set the stage the first night of competition. They went with an island feel. They wore tropical shirts and straw hats while they cooked. We had Caribbean inspired foods, yams and plantains roasted, there were beans but they had meat so I didn't eat that, I can't even remember all they served, but I know this... they dirtied EVERY SINGLE DISH in the cottage! They made specialty drinks that were delicious! Then they served a tropical pie, which was similar to key lime, but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better!!! So yummy!

The next night brought out the women. We were very organized in our meal planning. We worked on a time line. The boys didn't have dinner set on the table to eat until after 8pm. We girls did NOT want that to happen with our meal. We prepared our salad early in the afternoon. We prepared our entree (Church Chicken), in the afternoon as well, assembled and ready to heat. I can't recall our sides, other than the salad, which we actually served as a first course. We, too, had special drinks. We made white wine spritzers with a strawberry in the bottom of the glass. Our dessert was toffee ooey gooey butter bars (recipe used by Paula Deen). Our dinner was hot and ready to roll by 5:30 pm! AND it was a hit!

The boys won on creativity and culinary skill. The girls won on taste, cleanliness and timeliness! I think that means that the girls took home the gold!!!

We did have a Karaoke night, but it flopped, in that, so many people signed up, that our song never got called! It was getting close to 1am and we were too tired to hang about anymore. But we did have fun.

I found my new favorite drink, while in the OBX. If you have the chance to go Aqua... you MUST, simply MUST get an Aqua Belini! O M G! Scrumdiddlyumptious! HOWEVER, I must forwarn anyone who wishes to try it, if you are a light weight, find someone to share this drink with. I'm a heavy girl, and one belini and I was lit up! The twist on this otherwise classic beverage... SKYY Vodka. Wooo, I'm a believer!

We played games all week, always fun. We enjoyed some fun times of soccer on the beach, boogie boarding, skim boarding (hilarity), and lots of Wii action. Even some Wii drama! I know there was more I wanted to say about the trip, but I can no longer remember. My brain is fried. My bed is calling my name!

More blogging later! ;)

1 comment:

Alexis Jacobs said...

Lots of good times at the McGahn house! Happy belated b-days to all :)

PS: Skye Vodka is my all time fave.